- Department for Education
- Completion Date
- August 2022
- Quantity Surveyor
- Zahid Mahmood
- Form Of Contract
- JCT 2016 with amendments
- 1500 sq m
- Program Duration
- 82 weeks
- Associated Architects
About the project
The project involved the refurbishment of one teaching block including: strip out, internal finishes, mechanical and electrical services, and roof replacement. An extension has also provided new facilities including classrooms, toilets, a multipurpose hall and kitchen. Existing tables and chairs have been retained, with additional furniture, fixtures and equipment provided.
There was stair-only access to first floor, and so a new platform lift was also required. We also ensured the school remained operational throughout, providing temporary education facilities while the work was carried out in two phases.
Social value successes
ISG was awarded the ‘Social Value’ accolade at the Department for Education’s Capital Supplier Evening for the fantastic work on Heath Primary School in Chesterfield, including:
- Working with our supply chain to install drainage at a local mental health facility
- Donating six laptops and a defibrillator to the school
- Volunteering at the local foodbank
- Organising an off-timetable session for the school to showcase the lifecycle of newts
- Broadening the impact beyond the school and inspiring 90 students from Forge Valley School in Sheffield, with specialised STEM-focused assemblies/classes
- Organising an Open Doors event at the school, offering insights into the new facilities
Making a difference
Our team members also volunteered their time to renovate the school’s overgrown maze, to repurpose the area into a forest school, offering an alternative to a mainstream educational environment to support the school’s special educational needs or disability (SEND) students.