ISG appointed to build new special school in Wales
Announced by Powys County Council, ISG will deliver brand new fit-for-purpose facilities for Brynllywarch Hall School. The school, located in Kerry near Newtown, provides education for pupils from eight to 19 years, with a range of complex individual needs that are unique to every learner.
This exciting development is the latest construction project that has been tendered by the council that has used the National TOMs Framework – which stands for Themes, Outcomes and Measures – which has been developed to help clients measure the social value outcomes in their contracts.
ISG has committed to a number of measures, including working with the school to develop a STEM engagement programme linked to the school’s curriculum, and to monitor and record waste figures, reduce operational carbon emissions and the consumption of heat and power.
Construction of the £9.1m project, which was procured through the SEWSCAP framework, will start in early 2023, and has high environmental targets in line with Welsh Government’s strategic plan.
The Welsh Government’s 21st Century Schools Programme will fund 75% of the school construction project with the remaining 25% being funded by the council.
When completed, the council will have delivered a purpose-built and flagship community focused school with 72 places in age-appropriate environments.
Lynette Lovell, the council’s Director of Education, said: “I’m delighted that ISG has been appointed as the lead contractor. The existing building is unsuitable for the teaching and learning required to support those pupils with significant behavioural, emotional and social difficulties. When complete, it will provide an environment where teaching staff can thrive and provide pupils with the facilities that meet their needs, that they benefit from and enable them to enjoy learning.”
Kevin McElroy, Operations Director for ISG, said: “We’re proud to be working with Powys County Council to bring the state-of-the-art facilities of Brynllywarch Hall School to the community. It is an exemplar project designed around the principles of strong contractor engagement to deliver an outstanding education facility that brings equal learning opportunities to all of its students.
“Upon completion the facility will provide the much-needed specialist support and the learning environments to deliver tailored lessons, enabling and empowering all pupils to be educated to the national curriculum – all while meeting crucial environmental criteria. Once open it is set to achieve net zero carbon in operation.
“The delivery of this project expands on our vast experience in the area and is the latest we have secured through the Welsh Government’s 21st Century Schools programme. It follows the successful completion of South Point Primary, in the Vale of Glamorgan, earlier this year.”